Cannot join QNAP to Domain

@robb
OK, thank you for clarifying that for me.
Now, with that in mind, why will the QNAP try to connect to the domain controller as: nsdc-dc.nsdc-dc.ad.mydomain.local?
Also, as I wrote in the beginning, in QNAP I have the error message:
[Security mode] Failed to join domain. Cannot resolve domain. Check DNS server, AD servewr name and Domain.
Cannot resolve Domain
What name should I put in the DNS?
The QNAP is configured to use the NS DNS:

the IP of 192.168.10.1 is the internet connection gateway

Settings -> Win/Mac/NFS -> Microsoft Networking -> Advanced Options

Check settings in this page.

@federico.ballarini
where? on the NS or QNAP

Check on QNAP

Do not set an host thatā€™s not an AD domain controller as secondary DNS: it might lead to problems as it does not have records required by AD clients.

What is the FQDN of the QNAP? Iā€™d expect something like

qnap.ad.mydomain.local

The domain suffix must match the AD one.

The DNS domain name of AD is ad.mydomain.local. You put the FQDN of the DC instead!

1 Like

@davidep
Well, this is the only name that will give me a domain server to choose when trying to connect to the domain, when I write ad.mydomain.local, I get an empty selection screen to choose fromā€¦(see earlier messages)

The QNAP does not have that name as he is not a part of the domain yetā€¦
I donā€™t know If i can write itā€™s FQDN or where toā€¦

Do the QNAP NAS has the same computer/hostname that had before?
Was the Computer Account removed from the NSAD structure?

@pike
Yes, the QNAP has the same name, and yes, the computer account was deleted from the NSAD structure

Update,

I have installed a Microsoft Domain server and connected the QNAP to it with no problem.

To the best of my understanding, the QNAP is configured correctly, so the error is located on the NethServer, and probably in the DNS area.

Thank you all for your help so far

This is possible but is not the only explanation, because others succeeded in a similar task.

This is bogus, for sure.

You may try to disable strong auth:

Samba wiki:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Updating_Samba#New_Default_for_LDAP_Connections_Requires_Strong_Authentication

Maybe I am wrongā€¦ DNS server used by qnap should be the container (nsdc) or Nethserver?

I have the same problem on a QNAP TS-421 and a TS-453-PRO. Nor can I join the samba domain.
Have also tried all versions of FQDN, check that I can ping the domain compter as well as ad.domain.local also get an ip back. And I do.
I have to try all the tips here on this topic.
but have failed to get through :frowning:Udklip

Hi @Michael_Dahlgren_Nie
First thing check that your QNAP firmware is up to date.

Do you need that QNAP will be a remote domain controller or only a member of domain? If you set a remote domain controller in read-only mode it should work.

1 Like

They have the latest firmware. The aim is that they should be medlemer of the domaine

After i tried myself, with different combinations of name. is it new successful to get through the qnap domain wizard.
But now say that the domain is missing

Domain|624x451 Domain1

Can you try to set up a domain not .local and use a domain.ext and join?

So what you say is that i need to create a domain called .ext and not.local?

I think he means any other extention but .local
You could opt for .lan or any other outside world extentionā€¦ (beware that you can get into DNS issues if you use a domain you do not own yourself)

/edit: link to an explanation why .local is not recommended: https://serverfault.com/a/811715