Cockpit preview

Yep what we promise to people is ever better than you have…else we won’t do it :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I’m really curious about what people like @areguera @syntaxerrormmm and his crew, @dz00te @mark_nl think about that

Thanks @stephdl. Sadly (or luckily), PHP is not the most widespread programming language. On the contrary, learning a Javascript-based technology has a big appeal nowadays. These stats are quite impressive:

In 2017 a FOSS software developer knows Javascript! Even if we write down the best documentation for Nethgui we remain segregated in the corner of self-developed frameworks that are not worth to learn. The challenge of nethserver-cockpit and the Yeoman generator is to lower the barrier to UI contributions.

3 Likes

I played with cockpit cause I was curious. :blush:
I hope it’s not to early to report things.
In the editUser it shows the wrong domain:

BR Ralf

1 Like

If I remember correctly nethserver-cockpit still has some ‘mock-up’ parts. Net-gui is not completely implemented in nethserver-cockpit.

@dev_team: Any updates on the progress?

Hahahaha, sorry, again a mock-up trap for me! :smile:

1 Like

@Sebastian released a new module last week, but the overall development is on hold right now.
Still, we think this is the right path :slight_smile:

1 Like

You could have known such an answer raises new questions… lol
Would it be a good idea to post the current status and future roadmap on nethserver-cockpit? What milestones are identified and what timeframe are we talking about for those milestones?

1 Like

Current implementation covers about 10-15% percent of existing NethGUI.

I honestly have no idea, I can just guess we will work on it somewhere somehow during 2018.

in the meantime i suppose we will meet all here :slight_smile:

https://fosdem.org/2018/schedule/event/session_recording/
https://fosdem.org/2018/schedule/event/cockpit/

4 Likes

Of course!!

Good to know there will be a cockpit talk at fosdem2018. I hope I can make it sunday. I will be at fosdem at least on saturday.

finally videos of dojo 2017 are available, this is the talk about cockpit:

and the playlist:

3 Likes

Upstream released a “starter kit” for Cockpit add-on developers

4 Likes

looks good

1 Like

@giacomo cockpit was mentioned in a couple of topics regarding feature enhancement or UX redesign of the admin interface.

So, killing question is: are there any kind of ETA (double underlined on estimated, not requested) for this new admin interface?

The work is in progress: you can see a lot of work inside the GitHub repo, along with the new doc: NethServer Cockpit.

I hope to have something workable (maybe an alpha?) for the end of 2018 (or the begging of 2019), but priorities may change at any time :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanky you.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

It’s a big change, I hope we can discuss Cockpit evolution at NethServer conference too :slight_smile:

1 Like

The work is in progress, and the core part is almost done.

What is missing to complete the core:

• Network: configuration of physical interfaces, PPPoE and static routes
  • Software center and applications management (you can’t install new modules)
  • i18n workflow

Everything else is ready to be tested.
We would also like to know what are you thinking about the new Network page which is really a work in progress.

How to install? Just execute:

yum update && yum --enablerepo=nethserver-testing install nethserver-cockpit

Then access your server at port 9090.

Please report your feelings!

/cc @davidep @filippo_carletti

5 Likes