Extended configuration mailserver / mxbackup

How do you think about this when you can manage the mailserver via the GUI as MX backup.

Since I run a total of four NethServer on I would appreciate the automated setup very much :wink:

Greetings from rainy Bavaria!

Gerald

What do you mean with an MX backup? Can you explain better what you’re trying to achieve?
Which kind of task would you like to automate?

Postfix is the second (backup) mailserver, if the first registered one is not reachable (due to maintenance, line fault, other error) the second tightly carried server takes the messages and redirects them after the first one is reachable again.

In principle, only two steps are necessary:

1. in the public nameserver two MX entries are set, usually a primary and a secondary one

example.com. 86400 IN MX 10 mx1.example.com.
    example.com. 86400 IN MX 20 mx2.example.com.

2. Three entries are added to the local postfix of mx2.example.com (main.cf):

Smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_sasl_authenticated, permit_mynetworks, reject_unauth_destination
    Relay_domains = $ mydestination, example.com
    Relay_recipient_maps =

Alternatively, the e-mail addresses can be defined, that not all are accepted.

I think to recall @Jim was interested in this feature.

This is the basic functionality, you can make it (makes sense) a lot safer.

Keywords SPAM filtering; Address verification, virus scan, limiting the email addresses which are buffered and much more.

I have it set up according to the following Howtos:

and
http://www.server-wissen.de/internet/mailserver/postfix-als-backup-mx-einrichten/

“Unfortunately only in German” :wink:

Will ask again if something has happened here …

Think further that it would be a useful addition if you could perform the configuration in the GUI.

Once as a master and once as a backup, but think it would be feasible :slight_smile:

greetings
Gerald