NethServer comparisons with other similar products

Hi folks,
Into your posts I notice very often skills about product similar to NethServer: zentyal, clearos, pfsense, smeserver, and so on… Or products with similar goals: nas (qnap, synology), windows sbs. Similar web interface: webmin?
Can we build togheter this list? And make same helpful comparison about each of them for nethserver newbies?
Currently we have only two comparisons, really short:

http://www.nethserver.org/nethserver_smeserver/

IPCOP - Just the similar Distro :slight_smile:

I love blueonyx for mail servers, i might try to write down a comparrison

I’m gathering some skills, does someone want to contribute?
IPcop: @AZChas @Nas @kayazeren @medworthy @davide_marini
ClearOS: @AZChas @fasttech @transocean
pfSense @AZChas @warren_midgley @malvank @JOduMonT
Monowall @AZChas @medworthy
Smoothwall: @medworthy
Blueonyx: @mabeleira
QNap: @dz00te @Technet
FreeNAS: @warren_midgley @enrilor @JOduMonT
Superb Mini Server: @warren_midgley
Endian: @Matteo_Contoli

EDIT: adding @warren_midgley suggestions

PfSense
Zentyal
FreeNAS
Superb Mini Server

I have had previous experience with Smoothwall, ClearOS and Zentyal and could help out but I won’t be able to do anything until at least after the weekend (I am tied up for the next couple of days on a couple of deadlines).

Sure, don’t worry! Please start new topics about each comparison, and show/share your knowledge with us! I’m higly interested and not just me.

@medworthy would you go ahead with this?

Please write down something :wink:

@alefattorini, I apologise for not getting back to you earlier but I have been working on a number of other projects lately (also I have had a number of problems – needed to replace the workstation that I use on a daily basis – motherboard / processor decided that it had enough and died – RIP. Also been having problems with a vendor / hardware supplier, which has now been resolved)

Anyway, could you remind me if there where any particular products you would like me to review / give a comparison of?

Also, over the last month, I have found an issue related to the uninstall process of various modules, due to the time and wanting some sleep (it is coming up to 3am here in the UK), I am going to have to leave this one for now and report back later today.

Smoothwall or monowall could be interesting

Ok, I will have a report about Smoothwall (Express v3.1) for you before the end of the week. (I will also create a new post relating to problems with uninstalling and reinstalling various modules)

I am sorry about the delay but this is due to a busy schedule.

Don’t worry be happy :wink:

m0n0wall is “dead”, see http://m0n0.ch/wall/end_announcement.php

good to know, thanks man

Endian Community Firewall (the free version). It’s very similar. I got problems running it with firewall disabled, the static routes won’t work correctly. The proxy works very good and the manage of white lists is better i think than nethserver, because you don’t have to set a firewall object and then make the rule, just add a whitelist destination or network without proxy. But clamav and ntopng in Endian needed a lot of Ram. Absolutely NO Support, I think you have to buy the commercial version for it…

Hi Matteo,

IMHO, Endian products cannot be compared with NS in all, maybe only for specific modules.
Endian is UTM only, NS is All in One.
I think NS can be compared with Zentyal 3.5 (next versions have become more specific)
You are right regarding to support for Community (support only from forums).
For commercial versions, technical support is very professional and very prompt (I know that because I’m using Community version and sale Comercial versions).

You’re right, but you could just compare the UTM modules like: proxy, content filter, firewall, proxy SMTP, etc…

Hi all,

I have noticed that there are a lot of comparisons here and I think it would be wise to have the comparisons side by side with each other. I have created a Google Spreadsheet based on the previous feature of Zentyal since a lot of us came from it. However, it should be flexible, we can modify it as needed.

The comparison, in its present form is still bare/raw, so pls. bear with it as it still requires a lot of inputs/modifications. Also, I may have mis-classified some features as well as some erroneous wordings and programs used so if you can point it to the right direction.

I am also looking into involving several of us to edit the spreadsheet as I may not be able to update it. If you do volunteer, pls. PM me your GMail account so I can include you as collaborator.

And for those who just wanted to comment, pls. do as I have opened the spreadsheet for comment.

As it is, Ticks means generally supported while it would be better if we can include the technology/program behind it. For others, a simple blank or N/A will suffice. However, to basically identify that a feature is not supported (i.e. a firewall was not meant to serve as mail server) we have the background as RED.

We can also put something like “Commercial Add-On.”

@zamboni, a lot is asking for comparisons and those who are researching for the right product to study and/or deploy would greatly benefit from these comparisons.

While its fun, it hopefully will be helpful. So here we go… :grinning: :beers:

5 Likes

That’s a great idea, hope people help you to craft a great comparison :wink: