NethServer Subscriptions Page Feedback

That’s the aim.

I released the page :slight_smile:
Let me know your feedback on this in terms of clarifications, typos and so on…
http://www.nethserver.org/subscription/

I’m writing a blog post on it :slight_smile: in order to add more details

Hi Alessio,
I’ve a problem with Crostino, for somebody who is not involved it’s not clear where is the price of 100 € for. It looks a little bit like you have to pay 100 € for community support. I would write

• Community Support - Included
  • Professional Support - 100 € per incident

Also I wouldn’t limit it to a special server. For example somebody subscribes at Lasagna-programm for 6 Servers, 5 Servers went fine whole the year and for one server he needs help 7-times, he has to pay much more money, because he has to increase to the Pizza-programm.

Only my opinion.

1 Like

Good point, just tried to clarify :slight_smile:

No, I tried to explain it better :slight_smile:

With every subscription you purchase you will get a certain amount of included support tickets. Those tickets are cumulative. For example: If you run two servers with NethServer and you order two Lasagna Subscriptions (each with three support tickets included) you have in total six support tickets to use.

That clarifies a lot.
Would write it to the footnotes like
5. Supporttickets are cumulative across miltiple installations, negligible which installation needs support (see FAQ)

The page itself looks good. I like it! :+1:

Yes!!! I’ll get 20% off for the first subsciption! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Thanks Alessio,
I think you also have to rewrite this

Each NethServer needs a subscription, every subscription key is bound to the unique “Server ID” of your server.

Why? This is true :wink: technically in order to have a subscription every server need to be identified by a ID

@flatspin yes, good annotation. I need to add it

:thinking: What if a server needs to be re-installed? The ID changes… would it still be for the same subscription?

:thinking: :thinking: What if it is a virtual server, taken from a template. A new server instance can be created in seconds, all with the same ID…

I expect that ID to be a hardware ID based checksum tbh … change the (virtgual) hardware, and the ID changes, problem solved ?

Hi @alefattorini
I try to explain what my problem is.

every subscription key is bound to the unique “Server ID”

Because of this sentence I thought, that you have 3 tickets for each server and you can’t use for example 1 ticket for one server and 5 for the other server.

Hope it’s more clearly now what I’ve meant.

As I mentioned before you can use your amount of tickets
I can delete the sentence if it generates confusion

1 Like

I’m implementing these business rules with Giacomo and Edoardo. If I understand correctly

• server id is the single machine identifier to access repositories and monitoring services
  • one subscription, one server id
  • one person, multiple subscriptions
  • number of available support requests is given by the sum of the person’s subscriptions

What about phone ticket support? Is it only for the system subscribed to it? Or can be associated to any other server I subscribed?

BTW in crostino we should say “professional SSH support” like others. I’d specify also the word “email” (if it applies).

Edit:

Technical support is done via the phone, web, email based on Nethesis Helpdesk Portal (in English or Italian) at https://helpdesk.nethesis.it (except for the Crostino plan)

Wouldn’t it be better to use this Discourse installation for professional support? Discourse has private messages and categories. It’s the place every nethserverian knows well and would like to find payed professional support too :wink:

IMO we have to prevent system id abuses on the infrastructure side, generating alarms if a duplicated system id is detected :thinking:

2 Likes

Generally Nethesis offers it’s services using a separated system called Freshdesk. I don’t know if having a separated and closed category here is a good idea. A category just for subscribers? I’d like to go further and know your thoughts as well

Yes, how to handle reinstallations (changing hardware) or in other words: How flexible is a server ID?

Hardware changes could be avoided or provocated with VMs so should we generally care about virtual/physical/changing hardware?

I think with hardware ID, latest connection data and subscription check/refresh interval we are able to avoid abuse WITHOUT disturbing nice paying users which I think is most important:
Paying users with right intentions should not have more effort because of the bad boys.

2 Likes

I guess that ID is saved into the backup so you don’t have to be worried about it.

3 Likes

That would be the configuration backup I presume?

I’m not sure summing up the tickets from different subscriptions is a good idea.

We must decide if a plan applies entirely to a unique server ID or split it up, differentiating what services apply to a server ID and what services are associated to the person that pays them.

For instance:

• repo access, monitoring are bound to a specific server id - volume discounts apply
  • ssh+email/web support, phone support are valid on any registered system, but sold separately with their volume discounts

I think it will be very flexible, still the code is under heavy development (you can check it out at GitHub - nethesis/dartagnan: Servers monitoring and Subscriptions made easy).
For now is not even bound to any specific hardware (@planet_jeroen) and its saved inside the configuration backup (@robb).

Of course we should put in place some check to avoid that someone can use the same key on two active servers at the same time.
But I don’t think this is a priority right now.

I would like to publish an alpha to gather some feedback in a couple of weeks :wink:

3 Likes

I think it is important to have such a system in place. You just don’t want this to be abused in some way. It would undermine trust if anyone would abuse this.
Personaly I would be so disapointed if it turns out that this gets abused, but we can not rule out that someone will do so. I mean, the windows activation/serials are all over the internet too (with malware included, but that aside)

2 Likes

I think the way Acronis does it could be a solution for us.
First time you activate it with a key and you have to register with mail and password.
If you do a reinstall at the same hardware you only have to login with mail and password and everything is fine.
If you reinstall at new hardware you will be asked if the other PC should be deleted. If not you can’t activate it.
If you say yes, the activation at the old PC is lost.

3 Likes