NethServer Subscriptions Page Feedback

Vue.js and Go :slight_smile:

Actually it is what it occurs, the uniq key is stored in database, if you clone the virtual machine, then all your clones use the same ID.
Probably the statistics of the nethserver map is false and you have more instances. Sure a professional doesn’t install each server, he clones a master.

With the stephdl plugin I use a ID which comes from the BIOS…it is really uniq

1 Like

If possible, I’d implement an access rate policy in the infrastructure. Any data sent from the client can be tricked!

2 Likes

I like the solution that @m.traeumner proposes: activate an ID with email and password, then at reinstall you get the question if this is new hardware or existing. If new, you get the option to deactivate the old activation.
A lot of AV solutions use this method too. (like Eset)

2 Likes

Hi @alefattorini,
perhaps you also should explain at the subscription site what the following points are:

• Customer Portal
  • Asset Portal
  • Monitoring Portal

Thanks alot.

PS: I thought the Customer Portal is an Asset Portal.

1 Like

I will be honest here, my take is this;

People are happy to pay for quality, that’s why so many folk buy BMW and audi cars.

I sell server products and security updates to me are the most important aspect, particularly with the new data regulations in Europe you need to be able to demonstrate you are doing them. So i am happy to pay a fee every year per server to have stable updates and I’m certain my customers would. It’s also a yearly revenue stream as as a tech you can sell the service and updates. So a quality product backed up by security updates and tech support is a win win to me.

My 10 pence worth.

5 Likes

You’re right, we need to clarify it better. I could rename “Customer portal” in "Nethesis Helpdesk Portal"
Is it more clear?
And yes, I have to clarify what we mean for Asset/Monitoring portal. The truth is that everyone is going to be able to test a trial for 30 days, so we can get our hands on it and see what asset and monitoring involve.

1 Like

In my opinion “Nethesis Helpdesk Portal” like you said is much better.

If you do this it looks great to me.

I think we shouldn’t worry to much about “fighting the registration keys black market” :smile:

The registration key is not hardware bound, because what you’re buying is a support service.
If someone uses the same key on two different systems, he/she will have a screwed monitoring system.
The only benefit will be to get access to the stable repositories … Not a big problem, since the whole stuff is Open and we will also provide provisioning scripts for the infrastructure.

Before going further in this topic, please wait few days and we will publish also the design documentation to explain better how everything should work in our view.
As always, every opinion (and code!) is welcome! :wink:

6 Likes

A stub of the documentation is online: https://nethesis.github.io/dartagnan/

It’s still in early stages and we will try to keep it updated during the development.
If you want to know more about mirrors, for now take a look at @davidep pull request: https://github.com/DavidePrincipi/dartagnan/blob/porthos-import/porthos/README.md

Please give me an hand to complete especially the introduction part! Also feel free to raise questions to create new answers to be added inside the documentation :wink:

Edit

I forgot an important thing! From today, @stephdl nethserver-yum-cron package has been moved under NethServer organization and will be part of the subscription program!

After the machine registration, do you prefer that downloaded packages will be installed by default?

• Yes please, I’m a lazy sysadmin: install updates overnight whenever possible!
  • Do not steal my job: I want to manually install the updates!

0 voters

4 Likes

Hi @giacomo,
what does this mean, whithout subscription you can’t get it anymore or rather it’s not updated?

Thanks in advance for your explanation.

It means that we will help Stephane to maintain the package :wink: This is last piece we talked about in this thread: [Proposal] New way to handle upstream updates

Just to clarify: every package which will be available with a subscription will be always available in standard repositories.
Take a look here: Subscriptions and help me improve it if information is missing! :wink:

1 Like

There are some typos (sorry I’m not able to correct them, tried with “Improve this page”, but only get a “not found”), but main thing is at the Inventory-Page, I would say that you should explain more exactly which data is collected.

Thank you for pointing it out: the link should be fixed.

The list of custom data collected by the inventory is here: GitHub - NethServer/nethserver-inventory: System inventory based on facter
I’d like to not replicate the same text elsewhere. Do you think is better to add it directly to the documentation and remove from the README?

I’d like to tag @planet_jeroen @hector @bwdjames @FixitFelix @flatspin @m_farlotta @Jclendineng
could you please give your vote?

1 Like

already did it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Voted. I would prefer to be able to choose whetter to turn this on or off. I also want to point out that lazy sysadmin option can ONLY be safely implemented on production, when somebody is actually making sure that under no supported scenario it can be config breaking to apply an update.

Your job is to make sure that you did your best to filter bad updates.
Our job is to check that our configs survive an update.

Only when you implement an option where I can litteraly click ‘revert last updates’ or type a command that does this, will I feel comfortable to use an automatic install option in production. It would be perfect for test and staging tho.

TLDR; I want to be able to set this on or off. Production should imho never have this enabled, test and staging should.

3 Likes

You already can do it using:

yum history rollback <transaction_id>
1 Like

…that moment you realize your basic knowledge is lacking a bit :slight_smile:

Thanks for helping me learn and, in that case, I still prefer to be able to turn it on or off, but I feel a lot more safe to set it to ‘on’ on a server that has a very basic setup without much custom configs. It could even be preferred on some roles (FW/Gateway)

1 Like

…also, I’m getting the funding ready to be able to order once you guys are ready, but I must say it feels a bit awkward to get funding for Crostino and Lasagna … could I request them being prepended by something like Tier1, Tier2, Tier3, Tier4 or anything else that avoids me naming Italian menu options ? :smiley:

I’m pretty sure it will be a topic on our next meeting, and people will be asking about the topping :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like