Proposals for a new NethServer catchphrase

NethServer: your business IT the easy way.
with a subheader:
Secure, Simple and Modular…

3 Likes

Sounds good, not sure about the length. I actually also like @robb’s suggestion.

NethServer
Secure, Simple, Open

1 Like

It’s cool but it doesn’t remind something similar in the people mind.
Many articles about NethServer compare it with the windows small business server.
That’s why I tried to play with that definition.
From the marketing perspective, if people don’t know your brand/name, you have to bond it with something similar.

I agree that it would be nice to hop on the buzz words of existing solutions. But remember that MS SBS is not available anymore for long time. last version of SBS is 2011 wich consists of Windows 2008 R2 and Exchage 2010.
For Windows 2008 R2 (SP1) mainstream support ended Jan 15th 2015 and extended support ends 5 years later: Jan 14th 2020.
For Exchange 2010 (SP3) the same dates are applicable.
So, altough it still can be seen ‘in the wild’ I think MS SBS can be counted as extinct.

So the question is: is that ‘well known phrase’ still that well known and will it be associated with a great server solution? (or will it be associated with a dinosaur of ancient history)

It’s not about windows, it’s about the terminology. Take a look at these:

How are they naming us?

isn’t that a chicken - egg story? And what if the chicken dies? The egg won’t get breeded…

IMO the chicken already died and small business server is passed terminology…

You may have a point @robb, the term “Small Business Server” does appear to be used less and less after Micro$oft dropped the MS-SBS range, but there is still a gap in the market where small offices(ie. home office or small organisation or remote branch office) does require some sort of server to act as a file server/email server/internet connectivity.

I’m just not sure what a good replacement phrase or term may/will be for Small Business Server

The Network Swiss Knife?
No, this is wrong.

The Swiss Knife it’s a powerful and compact tool, but not a good one. Screwdriver, blades, scissors, corkscrew and saw maybe could work in acceptable way, but they are not “good tools”.

NethServer I think it’s a quite good set of network and server tools…

Hello everyone. May I add my view?
IMO the capabilities of Nethserver needs to be the focus and not Linux, as @Hunv mentioned above. This may only be in America, but many companies are scared of Linux but wouldn’t have an issue with using it if they didn’t think about it. I know this sounds silly, but it’s the truth. What about focusing on the strengths of Nethserver and let Linux be a really pleasant surprise for the ones that come to the community and learn about it?
Something like, Nethserver: Powerful, Secure, Flexible or Nethserver: The Ultimate Business Solution.
I’m not really good at catch phrases, but I wanted to try.

2 Likes

Another proposal, tolkienist:
« Nethserver, one server to rules them all »

Good point. Knowing linux is not mandatory to use NethServer, so no linux anymore :wink: it’s a surprise!
The Simplest Server you’ve ever seen!

1 Like

Very good point about not having the word Linux in it, it may just help adoption in certain circles.

1 Like

I recently replaced an HD into an installation. I had to use ssh, mdadm, sfdisk and grub2 commands, because at this point of the project the “complication” of a bit of linux knowledge is necessary.
You can omit Linux from slogans, claims and catchphrases. But it’s still there.

True - its still there and when it comes to replacing critical disks in Windows, there are still the normal technical challenges to overcome there as well (been there - done that).

Its a case of how does one package and market it so that its presentable and acceptable to the decision makes and bean counters.

We will not change the world, we only make it better.

Believe me, this is really good

Enthusiastic team, good job = Nethserver

2 Likes

The World’s Simplest All-in-one Server for Home and SMBs

I like this “for SMB” :grimacing:

I would like to ask to someone who used a concurrent distro if can agree with this statement.
Most complete or comprehensive could be a bit more… focused on facts.

1 Like

NethServer - Linux Small Business Server - www.nethserver.org

------------ Free and Open Source Alternativ to Windows ------------

1 Like