VIrtual Machines

I installed the VM manager and I created a VM
How do I enable a cd for my VM ?

Thank you.

You might fine some guidance in the wiki:
https://wiki.nethserver.org/doku.php?id=ns_webvirtmgr

Hi,

I’ve followed the guidance and connected the ISO to the instance but the VM doesn’t seem to open the ISO.
Any ideas ?

Hi,
the iso should be available as a CD drive in the VM

like this ?

Hi- I’ve enabled the CD as a drive and it stiil doesn’t work.

Hi,
I also connected an ISO to the cd of the virtual machine, using as storage a “DIR” named ISO specially prepared.
The VM has detected the image and booted, only that it is of a dazzling slowness, despite being configured with 2 cpu and 2 gb ram.
The host machine is a quad-core XEON with 8 GB of ram.
Can you give me some advice on how to speed up the VM?
Thank you for your kind cooperation.

Honestly I wonder if you take not the problem upside down. In my use case all my nethserver are virtualised with proxmox, like this I can also virtualise all other systems. Proxmox is much more mature and a professional host virtualiser than the virtualisation solution you want to use.

Just my two cents

3 Likes

In my specific case, it is a small network infrastructure, where in addition to the services of the nethserver, a very complete solution for a small company, there is a need for a Microsoft sql instance needed to run management of the Windows world. Since the version of mssql on Linux was not mature, it was decided to virtualize a Windows machine on which to install it.

Again, I would strongly consider @stephdl’s suggestion. I have this running too on my home server and it gives you so much more flexibility.
And creating a Windows Server VM for your MSSQL needs is not a problem at all on ProxMox.
The only thing I can come up with against proxmox, is (IF you use ZFS) the memory hunger and the preference for ECC memory. But IMO this tradeoff for flexibility justifies the extra investment in extra RAM easily.

Virtualisation is mature and can bring for your nethserver instance live node migration, backup and snapshot…in 2018 no hard installation should ever exist…all must be virtual :wink:

1 Like

Zfs can be avoided by first a debian install and software raid, then install proxmox on debian top. All is documented (and workable) in the proxmox wiki

Hi
I’m a longtime User of VMWare - since 1998 (!) - but since have moved on to ProxMox, as the best virtualization solution for Servers at the moment.
A HP MicroServer, with 16 GB RAM, is running a NethServer environment with AD, the Windows 2008R2 Server for the Application is running as a domain member in the NethServer’s AD.
Both are running in ProxMox, wich runs natively on the HP MicroServer.A Synology 4-Bay NAS serves as Backup and even synches the Data and image-backups home, so my client has an off-site backup.

This is VERY stable!

My 2 Cents
Andy

2 Likes

Salut Stephane

You are implying Murphy’s Paradoxum: If it can fail, it will. That should apply to Murphy’s law itself, implying that all will go well…

Now to virtualize ProxMox / ACS / Azure you name it - on my Raspberry… :wink:

But as someone once said: The only replacement for RAM on a Database Server is: More RAM! (Not a larger Swapfile or whatever!).

But still: Keep up the good work!

My 2 cents

Andy Wismer

1 Like

Which kind of VMware features are not available on proxmox? Could you use two server while proxmox manage both?

Hi
I’m not sure if i quite understand the question, but I’ll try… :wink:

You can run two or more VMs (aka Guests) inside ProxMox. I have run 9 VM Guests inside one ProxMox Host. You just need enough RAM…

You can use ProxMox together with “shared storage”. This can be a NAS with NFS shares, or something more sophisticated and advanced like ZFS or a CEPH Cluster. This means one or more ProxMox Hosts can access the VM Guests files. Redundancy…

Or bundle several, completly different Hardware like a Proliant Server, a Mac Mini and another Server to a three node ProxMox Cluster… This can be any number of Hosts… Failover migration is about 90 seconds on average server hardware, nothing specialized or even redundant Ethernet (Bonding).

A single Proxmox node, or ALL nodes of a cluster can be individually be managed from a single Web-Instance. No client software needed for management. A tablet is enough…

All this is available with a very simple billing system, 4 different prices depending on your support needs. A single CPU server (no matter how many cores) with one socket (Sockets count) costs less than €100.-/year in the community version of support. This already gives you access to the tested repos…

VMWare, and others like MS-VServer gives me the feeling of Starbucks pricing for a simple coffee.
As an italian, you may just want your familiar Cappucino or Ristretto, no columbian or extra shots or whatever ;-).

Live Migration, Live Backups of Windows (Or anything, for that matter) are features the competitors want a lot of money for, and a few Windows boxes for management… Not my scenario.

VMWare is rock solid and stable, but then, so is ProxMox.
Ever tried to enable NUT in VMWare? It is based on Linux after all… No way. There’s only a compilied binary available, but very limited and only as a client for NUT, not as a server.

ProxMox can easily be server - or client with NUT. I have a few clients where a Raspberry is the NUT server, and VMWare and ProxMox are clients… But I have one where ProxMox is the server, NethServer (With it’s fixed User/password in NUT not very flexible, just like Synology NAS) and a Synology listen to the proxMox NUT…

A few of the options, where ProxMox easily beats it’s competitors.

Then again, try running a Linux Container VM in VMWare ESXi - no way! ProxMox is extremly fast with these…

My 2 cents!
Andy

2 Likes

That triggered something in me :slight_smile:
If you are using dynamic RAM for Database servers, you MUST additionally configure some parameters if you do not want to change it to static memory. That is because of the function of many SQL Databases, that like to use as much memory as possible (kind of) to be as fast as possible if requests are comming. If you have dynamic memory enable, the DB doesn’t know how much memory you really have, so it will result in performance problems even for smaller databases.
For MSSQL I have some experience with that. Follow that guide (yes, crappy .doc-file…): Microsoft Learn: Build skills that open doors in your career
The chapter “Best Practices for Hyper-V Dynamic Memory Configuration with SQL Server” is what you are looking for. The SQL configuration is also valid for other Hypervisors.

1 Like

The preference for ECC memory should exist for any server–there’s nothing about ZFS that makes ECC particularly more desirable than it should be any other time you care about your data.

2 Likes