Zentyal vs NethServer comparison matrix

Wrong! Zentyal has!

Zentyal Community: A lot of questions, very few answers (almost all from the community).

Ehi folks, I’d like to update this comparison. Can you help me adding NethServer 7.4 and zentyal 5?
It has been clicked 555 times! And this topic has 25.5k views :astonished: :astonished:
We need to keep it updated

@MarianH @Rustie @icebal @robb @drivemeca @douglasdiasn @Zoltan_Polyak @panzerphreak @tchenier @greavette @Tom @firsttiger @jrab66 @cswain @MrE @wombat77 @christian

In their feature list there are two points we don’t support via web UI (feature requests are already there):

• NETLOGON scripts, Roaming profiles
  • Multiple Organization Units (OUs), Group Policy Objects (GPOs)

Zentyal uses bind9 DNS and ISC DHCP, we use dnsmasq.

http://www.zentyal.org/server/#server-features

1 Like

Well, one can always try to compare apple to apple NS vs. Zentyal vs. Univention as all seem to have a lot of features in common.
This makes sense, at least as end-user, depending on what you are looking for.
I’m running both Zentyal and Univention in various locations:

• Zentyal as simple & reliable “all in one IT box”. It just works (since they dropped Openchange and reverted back to postfix/imap mail) where/when needs are simple, without skilled local IT resources.
  • Univention when more advanced IAM stuff is required (groups, distribution list, POSIX, Kerberos). Slightly heavier however and this requires, for day-to-day operations, to have better understanding of IT stuff like DNS content, DHCP…

I won’t compare with NS as I gave up quite quickly after my first tries to install and have it working.
NS looks closer to Univention, with potentially a lot of features while Zentyal keep it small and simple.

What does matter, at least to me, for this kind of solution, is that it works, just work, in a reliable and stable manner. This is much more critical and important than bells and whistles.

1 Like

I’m sorry for that, a lot of non-expert users had success with NethServer here.
Honestly I have to say that NethServer is extremely modular so you can cut off all bells and whistles as you like and tailor you installation to suit your needs.